SubjectRe: [E1000-devel] [in-tree drivers] freezing e1000e in 2.6.31 (SMP only? MSI?)
On 6 Nov 2009, Emil S. Tantilov verbalised:

> Nix wrote:
>> Ever since 2.6.31 was released, my gigabit e1000e link has been acting
>> up. Notably, under sufficient load (generally, on this machine, NFS
>> load), packets cease to be transferred, and the (MSI) interrupt count
>> ceases to rise. Pulling the interface down and bringing it back up
>> works, both via ip(8) and by simply yanking the cable and plugging it
>> in again.
>
> Can you please send the output of ethtool -S from the interface after you observe the failure?

Sure:

NIC statistics:
rx_packets: 16502510
tx_packets: 16371898
rx_bytes: 14021876468
tx_bytes: 13559743390
rx_broadcast: 4011
tx_broadcast: 69508
rx_multicast: 146
tx_multicast: 159
rx_errors: 0
tx_errors: 0
tx_dropped: 0
multicast: 146
collisions: 0
rx_length_errors: 0
rx_over_errors: 0
rx_crc_errors: 0
rx_frame_errors: 0
rx_no_buffer_count: 0
rx_missed_errors: 130
tx_aborted_errors: 0
tx_carrier_errors: 0
tx_fifo_errors: 0
tx_heartbeat_errors: 0
tx_window_errors: 0
tx_abort_late_coll: 0
tx_deferred_ok: 0
tx_single_coll_ok: 0
tx_multi_coll_ok: 0
tx_timeout_count: 22
tx_restart_queue: 61194
rx_long_length_errors: 0
rx_short_length_errors: 0
rx_align_errors: 0
tx_tcp_seg_good: 100122
tx_tcp_seg_failed: 0
rx_flow_control_xon: 1452391
rx_flow_control_xoff: 1452502
tx_flow_control_xon: 569948727
tx_flow_control_xoff: 432717010
rx_long_byte_count: 14021876468
rx_csum_offload_good: 16478902
rx_csum_offload_errors: 22235
rx_header_split: 6854792
alloc_rx_buff_failed: 0
tx_smbus: 0
rx_smbus: 0
dropped_smbus: 0
rx_dma_failed: 0
tx_dma_failed: 0

I did a floodping out of the dead interface (100% packet loss) for a few
seconds and got some more:

NIC statistics:
rx_packets: 16502523
tx_packets: 16371898
rx_bytes: 14021877794
tx_bytes: 13559743390
rx_broadcast: 4012
tx_broadcast: 69508
rx_multicast: 146
tx_multicast: 159
rx_errors: 0
tx_errors: 0
tx_dropped: 0
multicast: 146
collisions: 0
rx_length_errors: 0
rx_over_errors: 0
rx_crc_errors: 0
rx_frame_errors: 0
rx_no_buffer_count: 0
rx_missed_errors: 132
tx_aborted_errors: 0
tx_carrier_errors: 0
tx_fifo_errors: 0
tx_heartbeat_errors: 0
tx_window_errors: 0
tx_abort_late_coll: 0
tx_deferred_ok: 0
tx_single_coll_ok: 0
tx_multi_coll_ok: 0
tx_timeout_count: 22
tx_restart_queue: 61194
rx_long_length_errors: 0
rx_short_length_errors: 0
rx_align_errors: 0
tx_tcp_seg_good: 100122
tx_tcp_seg_failed: 0
rx_flow_control_xon: 1452391
rx_flow_control_xoff: 1452502
tx_flow_control_xon: 623287688
tx_flow_control_xoff: 432717010
rx_long_byte_count: 14021877794
rx_csum_offload_good: 16478902
rx_csum_offload_errors: 22235
rx_header_split: 6854792
alloc_rx_buff_failed: 0
tx_smbus: 0
rx_smbus: 0
dropped_smbus: 0
rx_dma_failed: 0
tx_dma_failed: 0

> Also try disabling Tx pause frames:
> ethtool -A fastnet tx off autoneg off

Trying that now. No freezes yet, but I haven't really given it long
enough.

Further mysteries: a couple of times bringing the interface down and up
again hasn't sufficed to fix it: I've had to do it multiple times. (It's
possible that this just the same bug being tripped again by the flood of
blocked traffic once the if comes up). Just once, the interface came back
on its own, without my needing to do a thing.

(Just in case, I changed the cable and the switch it's connected to. No
change. Of course given my luck that just means I have *two* bad cables
or switches ;P )

  Last update: 2009-11-08 16:59    [W:0.061 / U:0.464 seconds]