    SubjectRe: [RFC] Mount point suggestions for cgroup
    * Jan Safranek <jsafrane@redhat.com> [2009-11-05 13:07:28]:

    > On 11/04/2009 05:44 PM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
    > >Balbir Singh wrote:
    > >>Hi, All,
    > >>
    > >>We've been having a discussion as to what would be the right place to
    > >>mount the cgroup filesystem. Jan has been proactively looking into
    > >>this. The FHS has no recommendation since cgroup filesystem came in
    > >>much later.
    > >>
    > >>The options are
    > >>
    > >>1. /dev/cgroup
    > >>2. /cgroup
    > >>3. Some place under /sys
    > >>
    > >>The problem with (2) is that it is quite non-standard and pollutes the
    > >>root directory. (3) requires some basic support to create a directory
    > >>for cgroup under /sys. (1) seems the most obvious choice since cpusets
    > >>were mounted under /dev/cpuset, but /dev is controlled by udev.
    > >>
    > >>Given the three choices or any other suggestions, is there a general
    > >>preference as to where we can mount it? The goal is to standardize
    > >>the mount point (if possible).
    > >Why the mount point has to be standardized ?
    > >

    > The mount point does not need to be set into stone so everybody
    > *must* use it. I, as Fedora packager, just need some default place
    > where to mount it, so applications which need to create/manage
    > groups work without any (potentially dumb) user assistance.

    I see no consensus, there are different approaches people like. I
    wonder if we can create an empty directory under /sys/kernel/cgroup,
    if so we would have supported the /sys approach. I'll send out a patch
    to do the same.

    Of
    > course, advanced admin can change the settings and move the groups
    > anywhere, applications still need to parse /proc/mounts or use
    > appropriate library like libcgroup.

    Agreed.

    --
    Balbir

      Last update: 2009-11-06 08:35    [W:0.022 / U:35.608 seconds]