    SubjectRe: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?
    On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 07:57 -0500, Andy Walls wrote:
    > On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 09:56 -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
    > > Andy Walls wrote:
    > > >
    > > > A failure in a userspace IR daemon is worst case loss of IR
    > > > functionality.
    > > >
    > > > A failure in kernel space can oops or panic the machine.
    > >
    > > If IR is the only interface between the user and the system (like in a TV
    > > or a Set Top Box), both will give you the same practical result: the system
    > > will be broken, if you got a crash at the IR driver.
    >
    > Yes, true. I had forgotten about the embedded space.
    >
    > Nonetheless I'd still rather debug a problem with a dead process in
    > userspace than an oops or panic (not that an end user cares) and avoid
    > the risk of filesystem corruption.
    >
    > > Userspace is much more flexible.
    > >
    > > Why? The flexibility about the same on both kernelspace and userspace,
    > > except for the boot time.
    >
    > I suppose my best answer to that is question back to you: Why does udev
    > run in userspace versus a kernel thread?
    >

    > My personal thoughts on why user space is more flexible:
    >
    > 1. You have all of *NIX available to you to use as tools to achieve your
    > requirements.
    >
    > 2. You are not constrained to use C.
    >
    > 3. You can link in libraries with functions that are not available in
    > the kernel. (udev has libudev IIRC to handle complexities)
    >
    > 4. Reading a configuration file or other file from the filesystem is
    > trivial - file access from usespace is easy.
    >
    > 5. You don't have to be concerned about the running context (am I
    > allowed to sleep here or not?).

    6. You can modify userspace driver easily to cope with all weird setups.
    Like you know that there are remotes that send whole packet of data that
    consist of many numbers that are also displayed on the LCD of the
    remote.
    Otherwise you will have to go through same fight for every minor thing
    you like to add to kernel...

    7. You don't have an ABI constraints, your userspace program can read a
    configuration file in any format you wish.
    I for example was thinking about putting all lirc config files into an
    sqllite database, and pulling them out when specific remote is detected.