    SubjectRe: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?
    On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
    >> If decoding can *only* be sanely handled in user-space, that's one
    >> thing. If it can be handled in kernel, then that would be better.
    >
    > Why ?
    >
    > I can compute fast fourier transforms in the kernel but that doesn't make
    > it better than doing it in user space.

    Of course not.

    > I can write web servers in the kernel and the same applies.

    I'm not so young as to not recall Tux. That was again a bad idea, for
    the same reason. It introduced unnecessary complexity. Enabling
    userspace to be able to service web requests faster improved all
    user-space code. Yay.

    The question is which solution is more complex, the current one that
    requires userspace to be an active participant in the decoding, so
    that we can handle bare diodes hooked up to a sound-card, or having
    the kernel do decode for the sane devices and providing some fall-back
    for broken hardware. The former has the advantage of being flexible at
    the cost of increased fragility and surface area for security, and
    latency in responding to events, the latter has the problem of
    requiring two different decoding paths to be maintained, at least if
    you want to support odd-ball hardware.

    Jon is asking for an architecture discussion, y'know, with use cases.
    Maxim seems to be saying it's obvious that what we have today works
    fine. Except it doesn't appear that we have a consensus that
    everything is fine, nor an obvious winner for how to reduce the
    complexity here and keep the kernel in a happy, maintainable state for
    the long haul.

    Who knows, perhaps I misunderstood the dozens of messages up-thread --
    wouldn't be the first time, in which case I'll shut up and let you get
    back to work.

      Last update: 2009-11-29 19:55    [W:3.349 / U:0.340 seconds]