    SubjectRe: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?
    Hi Jon,

    on 27 Nov 09 at 12:49, Jon Smirl wrote:
    [...]
    > Christoph, take what you know from all of the years of working on LIRC
    > and design the perfect in-kernel system. This is the big chance to
    > redesign IR support and get rid of any past mistakes. Incorporate any
    > useful chunks of code and knowledge from the existing LIRC into the
    > new design. Drop legacy APIs, get rid of daemons, etc. You can do this
    > redesign in parallel with existing LIRC. Everyone can continue using
    > the existing code while the new scheme is being built. Think of it as
    > LIRC 2.0. You can lead this design effort, you're the most experience
    > developer in the IR area.

    This is a very difficult thing for me to do. I must admit that I'm very
    biased.
    Because lircd is the only userspace application that uses the LIRC kernel
    interface, we never had any problems changing the interface when needed.
    I can't say there's much legacy stuff inside. I'm quite happy with the
    interface.
    The other thing is that I can't really move the decoder from userspace to
    kernel because there are way too many userspace drivers that do require a
    userspace decoder. LIRC also is running on FreeBSD, MacOS and even Cygwin.
    So letting the userspace drivers take advantage of a potential Linux in-
    kernel decoder is not an option for me either.
    I'm having my 'LIRC maintainer' hat on mostly during this discussion and I
    do understand that from Linux kernel perspective things look different.

    > Take advantage of this window to make a
    > design that is fully integrated with Linux - put IR on equal footing
    > with the keyboard and mouse as it should be.

    That's a question that I have not answered for myself concludingly.
    Is a remote control really on exactly the same level as a keyboard or
    mouse?

    Christoph

      Last update: 2009-11-29 13:11    [W:0.046 / U:31.232 seconds]