    SubjectRe: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?
    Jon Smirl wrote:
    > If these drivers are for specific USB devices it is straight forward
    > to turn them into kernel based drivers. If we are going for plug and
    > play this needs to happen. All USB device drivers can be implemented
    > in user space, but that doesn't mean you want to do that. Putting
    > device drivers in the kernel subjects them to code inspection, they
    > get shipped everywhere, they autoload when the device is inserted,
    > they participate in suspend/resume, etc.

    Huh? Userspace implementations /can/ be code-reviewed (but they can't
    crash your machine), they /can/ be and are shipped everywhere, they /do/
    auto-load when the device is inserted. And if there should be an issue
    with power management (is there any?), then improve the ABI and libusb
    can surely be improved. I don't see why a device with a userspace
    driver cannot be included in power management.
    Stefan Richter

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-11-28 20:33    [W:0.045 / U:0.740 seconds]