SubjectRe: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?
Jon Smirl wrote:
> If these drivers are for specific USB devices it is straight forward
> to turn them into kernel based drivers. If we are going for plug and
> play this needs to happen. All USB device drivers can be implemented
> in user space, but that doesn't mean you want to do that. Putting
> device drivers in the kernel subjects them to code inspection, they
> get shipped everywhere, they autoload when the device is inserted,
> they participate in suspend/resume, etc.

Huh? Userspace implementations /can/ be code-reviewed (but they can't
crash your machine), they /can/ be and are shipped everywhere, they /do/
auto-load when the device is inserted. And if there should be an issue
with power management (is there any?), then improve the ABI and libusb
can surely be improved. I don't see why a device with a userspace
driver cannot be included in power management.
--
Stefan Richter