    SubjectRe: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?
    On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 13:56 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
    > On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Maxim Levitsky <> wrote:
    > > On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 11:45 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
    > >> What are other examples of user space IR drivers?
    > >>

    > > many libusb based drivers?
    > If these drivers are for specific USB devices it is straight forward
    > to turn them into kernel based drivers. If we are going for plug and
    > play this needs to happen. All USB device drivers can be implemented
    > in user space, but that doesn't mean you want to do that. Putting
    > device drivers in the kernel subjects them to code inspection, they
    > get shipped everywhere, they autoload when the device is inserted,
    > they participate in suspend/resume, etc.
    > If these are generic USB serial devices being used to implement IR
    > that's the hobbyist model and the driver should stay in user space and
    > use event injection.
    > If a ft232 has been used to build a USB IR receiver you should program
    > a specific USB ID into it rather than leaving the generic one in. FTDI
    > will assign you a specific USB ID out of their ID space for free, you
    > don't need to pay to get one from the USB forum. Once you put a
    > specific ID into the ft232 it will trigger the load of the correct
    > in-kernel driver.

    If we could put *all* lirc drivers in the kernel and put the generic
    decoding algorithm, then it might be begin to look a bit more sane.
    And write tool to upload the existing lirc config files to kernel.
    This would essentially we same as porting the lirc to the kernel.
    I don't see much gains of this, and this way or another, alsa input
    won't be possible.

    Christoph Bartelmus, Jarod Wilson, what do you think?

    Maxim Levitsky

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-11-28 20:19    [W:0.022 / U:4.556 seconds]