    SubjectRe: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?
    On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 12:37 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
    > On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Krzysztof Halasa <> wrote:
    > > Jon Smirl <> writes:
    > >
    > >> There are two very basic things that we need to reach consensus on first.
    > >>
    > >> 1) Unification with mouse/keyboard in evdev - put IR on equal footing.

    BTW, circa 1995 my serial mouse "Just Worked" in Linux. Sometime around
    the release of Fedora Core 3 or 4, serial mice stopped being well
    supported as input devices AFAICT. (I still have a dual boot
    Windows95/Linux machine with a serial mouse because it has ISA slots.)

    Are serial port connected IR devices going to see the same fate in this

    Why not consider IR devices as bi-directional communications devices vs.
    input devices like mice or keyboards? Theoretically the TTY layer with
    line discipline modules for underlying IR hardware could also interface
    IR devices to user space.

    Sorry, the input subsystem cannot meet all the end user IR requirements.
    I doubt it could easily support all the current user space only IR
    drivers moving into the kernel. I suspect the serial port connected IR
    devices will be deemed "too hard" and IR Tx as "not input" and dropped
    on the floor.

    The more I think about IR integration with input, the more I think any
    effort beyond the plug-and-plug for default configurations is a waste of
    time and effort. Something more is needed to handle the transmitters
    and serial connected IRs. It's also too convenient to access USB IR
    hardware from existing userspace drivers to bother porting into the

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-11-29 05:37    [W:0.036 / U:53.208 seconds]