    situations, including under no load (not even the X running). Dumps are provided below.

    Sometimes it's a plain freeze, sometimes a kernel panic with the blinking leds and a dump.
    It seems the problem is related to memory, most of the messages are related to null memory
    references (see more below). System ran once for several hours before freezing.

    * System specification: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 4GB DDR3, Motherboard Asus
    P5QC. No overclocking.

    * Tested under the following kernels/distros, all had the bug. Since I used their vanilla
    kernels, I'm not posting a copy of the .configs:

    - (slackware 12.2 hugesmp kernel; distro heavily updated), 32 bits
    - (slackware 13.0 hugesmp kernel; fresh install), both 32 and 64 bits
    - (slackware 13.0 huge kernel; fresh install), both 32 and 64 bits
    - 2.6.31-14-generic SMP (ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix live cd), 32 bits

    * Here are some screen dumps (sorry, no serial cable for a text dump).

    * Turning off ACPI and APIC, either through the BIOS or through kernel parameters did not
    help, even when only one processor is recognized.

    * I ran memtest and no errors were detected. I completed the tests three times.

    * Nothing is ever output to the logs.

    * A sure way to get a freeze is to recompile the kernel, but the freeze does not happen at
    the same point of the compilation and I can't even say if the compilation triggers the bug
    or if it's just a coincidence and the compilation just takes long enough for it to happen.

    * Any other information, testing or debugging you need, just ask. I just can't use the PC,
    it usually freezes within minutes. Please CC any replies to me [brunobg at gmail]. Thank
    you very much for any help.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-11-28 22:51    [W:0.022 / U:0.128 seconds]