SubjectRe: Weird I/O errors with USB hard drive not remounting filesystem readonly
On Tue 24-11-09 15:13:01, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Jan Kara wrote:
>
> > After digging in block layer code, it's as we suspected:
> > In case of host error DID_ERROR (which is our case), scsi request is
> > retried iff it is not a FAILFAST request which is set if bio is doing
> > readahead... So this is explained and everything behaves as it should.
> > Thanks everybody involved :).
>
> Okay, very good. There remains the question of the disturbing error
> messages in the system log. Should they be supressed for FAILFAST
> requests?
I think it's useful they are there because ultimately, something really
went wrong and you should better investigate. BTW, "end_request: I/O error"
messages are in the log even for requests where we retried and succeeded...

Honza