SubjectRe: Weird I/O errors with USB hard drive not remounting filesystem readonly
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 07:54:50PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Mon 23-11-09 13:20:26, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > Well, if you could provide me with the patch, I could try to track down
> > > why the errors aren't propagated... It would be interesting because if it's
> > > not some retry logic in block layer, it's a bug in VFS ;).
> >
> > I can't provide a patch without first knowing what the errors are. The
> > way to find out is to use usbmon. See Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt for
> > instructions.
> Ah, OK. The problem manifests itself as an error in SATA communication
> (which in fact somehow happens over USB, but I don't really know the
> details of mass storage over USB) so debugging USB would become actual only
> if we found out it's really some bug in an usb stack. But so far the most
> probable is just an error somewhere between the USB controller in the
> enclosure and the drive itself. BTW: Is the data transferred over USB
> checksummed?
>
> Honza
Mind that this is an ide hard drive in a usb enclosure, not sata.
The error reported is bizzare. I don't know if I'll be able to get the
enclosure to cause the error on demand, but before I try supergluing it,
I'll try to do whatever I need to do with usbmon so we can get the error
that's actually happening so you can do whatever you need to do to track it
down :)

Tim McGrath

  Last update: 2009-11-23 20:53    [W:0.200 / U:0.056 seconds]