    SubjectRe: Weird I/O errors with USB hard drive not remounting filesystem readonly
    On Mon 23-11-09 10:06:03, Alan Stern wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Jan Kara wrote:
    > > Yeah, from what you write, it looks like USB enclosure is at fault (or it
    > > could still be your USB controller but I doubt it). It's still a bit
    > > bothering that the error reported by the drive was not properly propagated
    > > up to VFS. Either it's some block layer retry/ignore magic that I missed or
    > > we ignore errors from block layer in some place.
    > Is there any interest in tracking this down? It's not hard to find out
    > what low-level errors are being reported and to generate them on demand
    > with an emulated USB disk drive.
    Well, if you could provide me with the patch, I could try to track down
    why the errors aren't propagated... It would be interesting because if it's
    not some retry logic in block layer, it's a bug in VFS ;).

    Jan Kara <>
    SUSE Labs, CR

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-11-23 17:11    [W:0.037 / U:58.696 seconds]