SubjectRe: Weird I/O errors with USB hard drive not remounting filesystem readonly
On Mon 23-11-09 10:06:03, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Jan Kara wrote:
>
> > Yeah, from what you write, it looks like USB enclosure is at fault (or it
> > could still be your USB controller but I doubt it). It's still a bit
> > bothering that the error reported by the drive was not properly propagated
> > up to VFS. Either it's some block layer retry/ignore magic that I missed or
> > we ignore errors from block layer in some place.
>
> Is there any interest in tracking this down? It's not hard to find out
> what low-level errors are being reported and to generate them on demand
> with an emulated USB disk drive.
Well, if you could provide me with the patch, I could try to track down
why the errors aren't propagated... It would be interesting because if it's
not some retry logic in block layer, it's a bug in VFS ;).

Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR

  Last update: 2009-11-23 17:11    [W:0.107 / U:0.476 seconds]