SubjectRe: Why processes on linux loses signals?
On 11/22, Ray Lee wrote:

> [ adding potential interested parties to the CC:. Michael, please respond
> with the latest kernel version you've tried that exhibits the problem, as well
> as whether or not you've been able to create a test-case that shows the
> signal loss. ]

Yes, it would be nice to have a test-case.

> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru> wrote:
>
> > It's a very old issue, but I still don't know an answer.
> >
> > In short, processes on linux loses signals.  It happens
> > rarely, but it happens, and the frequency of this happening
> > is enough to be annoying.
> >
> > For example, I've a program that used alarm(2) to periodically
> > check for something.  Nothing fancy, nothing interesting is done
> > in the signal handler, no long operations or something, plain
> > signal(2) with sighandler just setting a global variable.  When
> > under heavy usage (it's a DNS nameserver), in about a week
> > (sometimes a few hours, sometimes after a month) it stops checking
> > for updates, because apparently some sigalrm got lost.

This shouldn't happen (assuming your application is correct ;)

If this happens again, could you look in /proc/pid/status? I don't
really think this will help, but still.

> > Last time I asked similar question here, I was told that signals
> > are unreliable

They should be reliable. If not we have a kernel bug.

Oleg.