    SubjectRe: Weird I/O errors with USB hard drive not remounting filesystem readonly
      Hi,

    On Mon 23-11-09 03:09:19, tmhikaru@gmail.com wrote:
    > Okay, finally had some time to dismantle the machine in question and
    > inserted the backup drive without the enclosure. Now that I was able to get
    > smartctl to give me information on what was going on, it seems there's
    > nothing wrong with the drive itself (no remapped sectors, nothing prefail or
    > fail going wrong, drive's smart status is good) but it's had a history of
    > 406 (!!!) errors reported, the last five happening within the same second,
    > all of which seem (to my untrained eye) to imply a bad IDE cable. Which
    > means likely my USB enclosure is screwing up.
    >
    > To be sure, I did some extended testing with it hooked up: Tried
    > doing a full and incremental backup of my machine with no errors reported,
    > as well as an offline and then immediately afterwards, long test via
    > smartctl. Nothing changed in the output.
    Yeah, from what you write, it looks like USB enclosure is at fault (or it
    could still be your USB controller but I doubt it). It's still a bit
    bothering that the error reported by the drive was not properly propagated
    up to VFS. Either it's some block layer retry/ignore magic that I missed or
    we ignore errors from block layer in some place.

    Honza
    --
    Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
    SUSE Labs, CR

      Last update: 2009-11-23 11:57    [W:0.028 / U:128.552 seconds]