    >>> Please see:
    >>> and
    >> Unfortunately, both of these photos only show that MD (block major 9) device
    >> could not be found for root.
    >> For either ATA or IDE, we would need to see full dmesg somehow -- perhaps
    >> capturing serial console output? (Documentation/serial-console.txt)
    > Ok, I appended
    > console=ttyS1,9600 console=tty0
    > to the kernel command line at lilo after choosing the kernel image and
    > I get a ton of output. But how to I save the output to a file?

    I use minicom and a null modem serial cable. One of minicom's commands
    will capture everything sent to the serial port, to a file. Other
    options are available. Googling for "linux serial console" found
    several useful starting-point links.

    The basic idea is to sent console output to a serial port, and then have
    some method of reading and capturing the serial port's data.

    Another alternative is netconsole (google for "linux netconsole"), which
    permits output over the network.

    >>> I makes no difference if I choose ATA or only IDE.
    >>> I am also attaching you my Kernel .config
    >>> I could also test with 2.6.32-rc8 (torvalds-git)
    >>> I suggest you send me two .config that I can both test with
    >> I bet libata fails because CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD is not enabled. Probably want
    >> to enable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR too, for libata CD-ROM support. I would be
    >> interested to see your failing ATA config, with IDE disabled.
    > I enabled CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR. Do you want above test with or without
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SVWKS (OSB4/CSB5) enabled?

    Well, this goes back to David's basic request: IDE-only or ATA-only.

    You really, really, really should not to enable both at the same time.

    If you are choosing ATA-only (libata), then you should disable
    CONFIG_IDE and everything associated with CONFIG_IDE, including

    libata will want something like
    CONFIG_ATA_VERBOSE_ERROR <-- optional, but helpful

    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR <-- required only for CD-ROM support

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-11-20 12:35    [W:0.027 / U:8.112 seconds]