>>> Please see:
>>> and
>> Unfortunately, both of these photos only show that MD (block major 9) device
>> could not be found for root.
>> For either ATA or IDE, we would need to see full dmesg somehow -- perhaps
>> capturing serial console output? (Documentation/serial-console.txt)
> Ok, I appended
> console=ttyS1,9600 console=tty0
> to the kernel command line at lilo after choosing the kernel image and
> I get a ton of output. But how to I save the output to a file?

I use minicom and a null modem serial cable. One of minicom's commands
will capture everything sent to the serial port, to a file. Other
options are available. Googling for "linux serial console" found
several useful starting-point links.

The basic idea is to sent console output to a serial port, and then have
some method of reading and capturing the serial port's data.

Another alternative is netconsole (google for "linux netconsole"), which
permits output over the network.

>>> I makes no difference if I choose ATA or only IDE.
>>> I am also attaching you my Kernel .config
>>> I could also test with 2.6.32-rc8 (torvalds-git)
>>> I suggest you send me two .config that I can both test with
>> I bet libata fails because CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD is not enabled. Probably want
>> to enable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR too, for libata CD-ROM support. I would be
>> interested to see your failing ATA config, with IDE disabled.
> I enabled CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR. Do you want above test with or without

Well, this goes back to David's basic request: IDE-only or ATA-only.

You really, really, really should not to enable both at the same time.

If you are choosing ATA-only (libata), then you should disable
CONFIG_IDE and everything associated with CONFIG_IDE, including

libata will want something like
CONFIG_ATA_VERBOSE_ERROR <-- optional, but helpful

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR <-- required only for CD-ROM support