    SubjectRe: FatELF patches...
    Date
    On Lunes 02 Noviembre 2009 03:21:47 Ryan C. Gordon escribió:
    > FatELF solves different problems than package managers, and in the case of
    > ia32 compatibility packages, it helps the package manager solve its
    > problems better.

    Package managers can be modified to allow embeddeding a package inside of
    another package. That could allow shipping support for multiple architectures
    in a single package, and it could even do things that fatelf can't, like
    in the case of experimental packages that need other experimental
    dependencies: all of them could be packed in a single package, even with
    support for multiple architectures. Heck, it could even be a new kind of
    container that would allow packing .rpm and .debs for multiple distros
    together. And it wouldnt touch a single line of kernel code.

    So I don't think that fatelf is solving the problems of package managers,
    it's quite the opposite.