    SubjectRe: BUG: GCC-4.4.x changes the function frame on some functions

    On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Oh Gods, are we back to gcc people saying "sure, we do stupid things, but
    > it's allowed, so we don't consider it a bug because it doesn't matter that
    > real people care about real life, we only care about some paper, and real
    > life doesn't matter, if it's 'undefined' we can make our idiotic choices
    > regardless of what people need, and regardless of whether it actually
    > generates better code or not".

    Put another way: the stack alignment itself may not be a bug, but gcc
    generating God-awful code for the mcount handling that results in problems
    in real life sure as hell is *stupid* enough to be called a bug.

    I bet other people than just the kernel use the mcount hook for subtler
    things than just doing profiles. And even if they don't, the quoted code
    generation is just crazy _crap_.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-11-19 19:49    [W:0.028 / U:16.604 seconds]