SubjectRe: BUG: GCC-4.4.x changes the function frame on some functions

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Oh Gods, are we back to gcc people saying "sure, we do stupid things, but
> it's allowed, so we don't consider it a bug because it doesn't matter that
> real people care about real life, we only care about some paper, and real
> life doesn't matter, if it's 'undefined' we can make our idiotic choices
> regardless of what people need, and regardless of whether it actually
> generates better code or not".

Put another way: the stack alignment itself may not be a bug, but gcc
generating God-awful code for the mcount handling that results in problems
in real life sure as hell is *stupid* enough to be called a bug.

I bet other people than just the kernel use the mcount hook for subtler
things than just doing profiles. And even if they don't, the quoted code
generation is just crazy _crap_.

Linus