    SubjectRe: pidns memory leak
    Daniel Lezcano [] wrote:
    > Sukadev Bhattiprolu wrote:
    >> Still digging through some traces, but below I have some questions that
    >> I am still trying to answer.
    >>> I am not sure what you mean by 'struct pids' but what I observed is:
    >> Ok, I see that too. If pids leak, then pid-namespace will leak too.
    >> Do you see any leaks in proc_inode_cache ?
    > Yes, right. It leaks too.

    Ok, some progress...

    Can you please verify these observations:

    - If the container exits normally, the leak does not seem to happen.
    (i.e reduce your sleep 3600 to say sleep 3 and remove the lxc-stop).

    - Revert the following commit and check if the leak happens:

    commit 7766755a2f249e7e0dabc5255a0a3d151ff79821
    Author: Andrea Arcangeli <>
    Date: Mon Feb 4 22:29:21 2008 -0800

    (this commit added the check for PF_EXITING in proc_flush_task_mnt
    loosely explained below).

    Incomplete analysis :-)

    If the container-init is terminated (by the lxc-stop), the container zaps
    other processes in the container and waits for them. The leak happens in
    this case.

    Following sequence of events occur:

    - container-init calls do_exit and sets PF_EXITING (in exit_signals())

    - container init calls zaps_pid_ns_processes() (exit_notify /
    forget_orignal_parent() / find_new_reaper())

    - In zap_pid_ns_processes() container-init sends SIGKILL to
    descendants and calls sys_wait().

    - The sys_wait() is expected to call release_task() which calls

    - proc_flush_task_mnt() looks up the dentry for the pid (2 in
    our example) and finds the dentry.

    But since container-init is itself exiting (i.e PF_EXITING is
    set) it does NOT call the shrink_dcache_parent(), but,
    interestingly calls d_drop() and dput().

    Now the d_drop() unhashes the dentry for the pid 2.

    - proc_flush_task_mnt() then tries to find the dentry for the
    tgid of the process. In our case, the tgid == pid == 2 and
    we just unhashed the dentry for "2".

    So, we don't find the dentry for the leader either (and hence
    don't make the second shrink_dcache_parent() call in
    proc_flush_task_mnt() either).

    Without a call to shrink_dcache_parent(), the proc inode
    for the process that was terminated by container init is
    not deleted (i.e we don't call proc_delete_inode() or
    the put_pid() inside it) causing us to leak proc_inodes,
    struct pid and hence struct pid_namespace.

    There should be a better fix, but first please confirm if reverting the
    above commit fixes the leak for you also.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-10-09 05:35    [W:0.026 / U:0.064 seconds]