    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] SCSI fixes for 2.6.32-rc3
    On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 01:00:58PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > It really boils down to the fact that I'm perfectly happy to let new
    > drivers slip in after the merge window in order to help end users. But
    > really - there has to be a limit to it. Not just anything.
    >
    > It has to help end users, and dammit, you have to admit that 50 kloc is
    > damn well not just "another random driver".

    So would it be acceptable to merge the 50 kloc of crap _during_ the
    merge window? Crap is crap, no matter when it is merged. In this
    particular case, the crap is its own subsystem, and wouldn't interfere
    with the rest of the kernel tree. So it's no more risky to merge it
    outside of merge window; so the decision about whether merge 50 kloc
    of crap shouldn't be impacted about whether we are in our out of the
    merge window.

    Arguably, the question is whether it's better for the end users to
    merge this at _any_ time, or whether we force the manufacturer to drop
    it into the staging tree provisionally until it can be cleaned up.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2009-10-08 23:17    [W:1.175 / U:0.100 seconds]