SubjectRe: [rfc][patch] store-free path walking
On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 11:56:57AM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07 2009, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > Anyway, this is the basics working for now, microbenchmark shows
> > same-cwd lookups scale linearly now too. We can probably slowly
> > tackle more cases if they come up as being important, simply by
> > auditing filesystems etc.
>
> throughput
> 2.6.32-rc3-git | 561.218 MB/sec
> 2.6.32-rc3-git+patch | 627.022 MB/sec
> 2.6.32-rc3-git+patch+inc| 969.761 MB/sec
>
> So better, quite a bit too. Latencies are not listed here, but they are
> also a lot better. Perf top still shows ~95% spinlock time. I did a
> shorter run (the above are full 600 second runs) of 60s with profiling
> and the full 64 clients, this time using -a as well (which generated
> 9.4GB of trace data!). The top is now:
>
> _spin_lock (92%)
> path_get (39%)
> d_path (59%)
> path_init (26%)
> path_walk (13%)
> dput (37%)
> path_put (86%)
> link_path_walk (13%)
> __d_path (23%)

path_init, path_walk, and link_path_walk are all non-lockless
variants, so the RCU walk is dropping out in some cases. path_put
will be significantly coming from locked lookups too. It could be
improved by expanding the cases we do lockless walk for (or
allowing a lockless walk to turn into a locked walk part-way
through, rather than restarting the whole thing, which is probably
a very good idea anyway).

d_path and __d_path are... I think dbench doing something stupid.
Although even those could possibly be optimised to avoid d_lock
as well... Although after looking at strace from dbench, I'd
rather take profiles from real workloads before adding complexity
(or even a real samba serving a netbench workload would be
preferable to dbench, I think).

But it's always nice to see numbers and results. Nearly 2x
increase isn't too bad, even if it is still horribly choked.

> And finally, this:
>
> > + if (!nd->dentry->d_inode) {
> > + spin_unlock(&nd->path.dentry->d_lock);
> > + return -EAGAIN;
> > + }
>
> doesn't compile, it wants to be
>
> if (!nd->path.dentry->d_inode) {

Ah thanks, forgot to refresh.

  Last update: 2009-10-07 12:21    [W:0.263 / U:0.500 seconds]