SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.32-rc3

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So I literally think that our current CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO includes
> the best of both worlds. It has the "uniquely identifying" part, but it
> also has a part that is human-readable and useful for that reason.

Btw, that doesn't mean that I'm married to the exact details of the syntax
etc. I like CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO, but I can also see why Ingo would
prefer a "+" there instead of a "-".

And the zero-padding to five digits of the number of commits may make
things line up nicely, and I think there was even some odd technical
reason for it too (some package manager or other that was unhappy with
"simple" numbers like "-1" and thought that they were a build number or
something), but it's admittedly silly too.

So I'm not trying to say that we could not change the details or perhaps
improve on it. What I _am_ trying to say is that conceptually that whole
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is absolutely the only sane way to do things.
Whether we could expand on it or simplify it or paint it a different bike
shed color, I don't care much about.

So I'm not married to the exact details of our current LOCALVERSION_AUTO
thing. But I _am_ 100% convinced that it's conceptually the right thing to
do, unlike the other suggestions I have pooh-poohed in this thread.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-10-18 23:28    [W:0.157 / U:0.556 seconds]