    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.32-rc3

    On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > So I literally think that our current CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO includes
    > the best of both worlds. It has the "uniquely identifying" part, but it
    > also has a part that is human-readable and useful for that reason.

    Btw, that doesn't mean that I'm married to the exact details of the syntax
    etc. I like CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO, but I can also see why Ingo would
    prefer a "+" there instead of a "-".

    And the zero-padding to five digits of the number of commits may make
    things line up nicely, and I think there was even some odd technical
    reason for it too (some package manager or other that was unhappy with
    "simple" numbers like "-1" and thought that they were a build number or
    something), but it's admittedly silly too.

    So I'm not trying to say that we could not change the details or perhaps
    improve on it. What I _am_ trying to say is that conceptually that whole
    CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is absolutely the only sane way to do things.
    Whether we could expand on it or simplify it or paint it a different bike
    shed color, I don't care much about.

    So I'm not married to the exact details of our current LOCALVERSION_AUTO
    thing. But I _am_ 100% convinced that it's conceptually the right thing to
    do, unlike the other suggestions I have pooh-poohed in this thread.