SubjectRe: Massive ext4 filesystem corruption after a failed s2disk/ram cycle
On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 17:42 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 11:06:55PM +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> >
> > Just prior to 2.6.32 cycle I tried -next tree and noticed that after a
> > failed s2ram (here it works only once, and I test once in a whileto see
> > if fixed accidentally) I got a minor filesystem corruption. I am sorry I
> > didn't report that back then.
>
> When you say filesystem corruption, it's important to indicate whether
> you meant that (a) you noticed that some files were had corrupted
> contents, (b) the kernel complained that the filesystem was corrupted,
> and remounted the filesystem read-only, or (c) e2fsck found and fixed
> errors.
>
> Also, when you found errors of either class (a) or (b), did you run
> e2fsck to find and fix any potential errors? In a few places it
> sounded like the kernel had complained about errors, but you had
> ignored them and hadn't run e2fsck to fix them. I hope that was just
> me misunderstanding what you wrote! Can you clarify?

Sure, kernel noticed errors, and remounted the filesystem R/O (I didn't
write anything down. really sorry)

I had rebooted the system.
Then startup scripts had booted the system to root shell

I had run fsck on the filesystem. It had plenty of files with shared
blocks, many orphaned inodes, errors in free bitmaps.

Then, after the fsck, I got many missing files (many probably went to
lost+found), some had garbage, some became truncated (0 size)

Mostly were affected files that were from recent dpkg update.

I use ubuntu 9.10, and (almost) latest -git of kernel tree.

Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans