    SubjectRe: Massive ext4 filesystem corruption after a failed s2disk/ram cycle
    On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 17:42 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
    > On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 11:06:55PM +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
    > >
    > > Just prior to 2.6.32 cycle I tried -next tree and noticed that after a
    > > failed s2ram (here it works only once, and I test once in a whileto see
    > > if fixed accidentally) I got a minor filesystem corruption. I am sorry I
    > > didn't report that back then.
    > When you say filesystem corruption, it's important to indicate whether
    > you meant that (a) you noticed that some files were had corrupted
    > contents, (b) the kernel complained that the filesystem was corrupted,
    > and remounted the filesystem read-only, or (c) e2fsck found and fixed
    > errors.
    > Also, when you found errors of either class (a) or (b), did you run
    > e2fsck to find and fix any potential errors? In a few places it
    > sounded like the kernel had complained about errors, but you had
    > ignored them and hadn't run e2fsck to fix them. I hope that was just
    > me misunderstanding what you wrote! Can you clarify?

    Sure, kernel noticed errors, and remounted the filesystem R/O (I didn't
    write anything down. really sorry)

    I had rebooted the system.
    Then startup scripts had booted the system to root shell

    I had run fsck on the filesystem. It had plenty of files with shared
    blocks, many orphaned inodes, errors in free bitmaps.

    Then, after the fsck, I got many missing files (many probably went to
    lost+found), some had garbage, some became truncated (0 size)

    Mostly were affected files that were from recent dpkg update.

    I use ubuntu 9.10, and (almost) latest -git of kernel tree.

    Best regards,
    Maxim Levitsky

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-10-07 01:11    [W:0.026 / U:36.764 seconds]