    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.32-rc3
    Date
    On Tuesday 06 October 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Have you missed the whole discussion about why it doesn't work?
    > Have you missed the point on why it is FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG to do?

    No, I've followed the discussion. I guess I just disagree with you as my
    perspective is different. I still think there are practical advantages to
    it, even if it is not 100% theoretically correct from a versioning PoV
    (which I've already said I agree with).

    > You also seem to be making up more and more ludicrous examples of things
    > to do.

    Those ludicrous examples work very well for me and keep mixtures of stable,
    development and bisection kernels on 6 different architectures manageable.
    Call me weird.

    I was not proposing my scheme as a general solution, but just presenting it
    as an example of what can be done locally.

    Anyway, as long as I can continue to follow my own scheme, I'm happy
    enough.

    > Why the f*ck cares about somebody taking a random git tree, tarring it
    > up, and then building it like that?

    Because they are not random. I build inbetween trees mostly when I see that
    fixes for issues I've seen have been merged. My method, making use of the
    possibilities of the distro package management system, gives me perfect
    version management for these kernels. And that is something, I do care
    about (for my own systems, not as something to force on others).

    Cheers,
    FJP

      Last update: 2009-10-06 20:37    [W:4.186 / U:0.156 seconds]