    SubjectRe: symlinks with permissions
    On 19:35 Fri 30 Oct     , Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > How many linux shell scripts and other applications that use /dev/fd/N
    > > or /proc/self/fd/N will you be breaking?
    >
    > Zero. (Well unless someone is exploiting it in wild).

    I've definitely written at least one script before that does something
    along the lines of 'echo foo > /dev/fd/N'. It's not one that I remember
    anything else about, so perhaps its behaviour would be unaffected by
    forbidding this if the particular file descriptor did not originally
    have read-write permissions. I have a hard time believing that amongst
    millions of users, not one of them has a script that would be affected.

    Frankly, I don't understand what is particularly surprising about the
    fact that people can write to files with world write permissions.

    --
    Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)

      Last update: 2009-10-30 21:39    [W:0.021 / U:0.672 seconds]