SubjectRe: symlinks with permissions
On 19:35 Fri 30 Oct     , Pavel Machek wrote:
> > How many linux shell scripts and other applications that use /dev/fd/N
> > or /proc/self/fd/N will you be breaking?
>
> Zero. (Well unless someone is exploiting it in wild).

I've definitely written at least one script before that does something
along the lines of 'echo foo > /dev/fd/N'. It's not one that I remember
anything else about, so perhaps its behaviour would be unaffected by
forbidding this if the particular file descriptor did not originally
have read-write permissions. I have a hard time believing that amongst
millions of users, not one of them has a script that would be affected.
Frankly, I don't understand what is particularly surprising about the
fact that people can write to files with world write permissions.

--
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)