SubjectRe: symlinks with permissions (fwd)
Pavel Machek wrote:
> (I forgot to cc the list)
>
> From: Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz>
> To: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xmission.com>
> Subject: Re: symlinks with permissions
>
> Hi!

>>> The actual permissions of the file are not ignored, but permissions of
>>> the containing directory _are_. If there's 666 file in 700 directory,
>>> you can reopen it read-write, in violation of directory's 700
>>> permissions.
>>>
>> I can see how all of this can come as a surprise. However I don't see
>> how any coder who is taking security seriously and being paranoid about
>> security would actually write code that would have a problem with this.
>>
>> Do you know of any cases where this difference matters in practice?
>>

> Actually yes, see the bugtraq post. guest was able to write to my file
> when I expected that file to be protected.
>
> According to the bugtraq discussion, people expect directory
> permissions to work.

Gawd, I hate to say this, but people have been improperly educated
if they expect directory permissions to behave thusly. You can not
count on the permissions on a directory to protect access on a file
that the directory contains a reference to. Hard links. Mount points.
/proc/8675309/fd. Passing file descriptors over sockets. Fork, for
heaven's sake. That's not how Linux directories really work.

> /proc currently breaks that. I bet there are few
> systems in the wild that have permissions set up like that, but it is
> not easy to actually find such systems.
>
> Better fix it...
> Pavel

Well, /proc/8675309/fd is a silly notion, but it's been around
long enough that you are going to have trouble getting rid of it
and doing so wouldn't solve the "problem" in any case.

  Last update: 2009-10-29 06:09    [W:0.050 / U:0.252 seconds]