    SubjectRe: Memory overcommit
    David Rientjes wrote:

    > Right, because in Vedran's latest oom log it shows that Xorg is preferred
    > more than any other thread other than the memory hogging test program with
    > your patch than without. I pointed out a clear distinction in the killing
    > order using both total_vm and rss in that log and in my opinion killing
    > Xorg as opposed to krunner would be undesireable.

    But then you should rename OOM killer to TRIPK:
    Totally Random Innocent Process Killer

    If you have OOM situation and Xorg is the first, that means it's leaking
    memory badly and the system is probably already frozen/FUBAR. Killing
    krunner in that situation wouldn't do any good. From a user perspective,
    nothing changes, system is still FUBAR and (s)he would probably reboot
    cursing linux in the process.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-10-29 12:15    [W:0.022 / U:1.788 seconds]