SubjectRe: Hyperthreading on 4 core CPU DECREASES performance???
> This is Ubuntu Hardy, 2.6.24 kernel. I tried the same with 2.6.31,
> with the same effect.
>
> This article from Intel:
>
> http://software.intel.com/sites/oss/pdfs/mclinux.pdf
>
> It talks about intelligent handling of multiple cores as a done deal,
> but in my experience that did not actually occur.
>
> I would like to know how can I make the scheduler to prefer to spread
> the tasks across physical cores as opposed to bundling two on one core
> and leaving some cores idle.

The scheduler will try and do balancing for packages and for HT. Make
sure your distribution is built with the SCHED_SMT and SCHED_MC options
enabled. Some of the non-enterprise distirbutions may well not have these
enabled.

For hand laying out threads see: man pthread_setaffinity_np

The win from HT depends a lot on the CPU and also the workload mix. In
some workloads it will decrease performance.

  Last update: 2009-10-28 23:27    [W:0.800 / U:0.088 seconds]