    SubjectRe: [patch] x86: reduce srat verbosity in the kernel log
    On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Andi Kleen wrote:

    > > +static DECLARE_BITMAP(apicid_map, MAX_LOCAL_APIC) __initdata;
    > > +static char apicid_list[MAX_LOCAL_APIC] __initdata;
    >
    > Is MAX_LOCAL_APIC really big enough to print them all in ASCII?
    >
    > It would be better to not use that large a buffer, but print
    > in smaller pieces (I realize this would enlarge your patch,
    > but then it would also save a lot of BSS)

    MAX_LOCAL_APIC was definitely an arbitrary choice here and has very little
    relevance. scnlistprintf will protect against overflow, but we still need
    to decide upon a constant that will emit the most information possible
    while not overly polluting the printk and saving on bss, as you mentioned.
    I suspect we could agree on a value as little as 128 and it would work for
    the overwhelming majority (all?) of users.

      Last update: 2009-10-28 05:11    [W:5.317 / U:0.168 seconds]