    SubjectRe: Relicensing tracepoints and markers to Dual LGPL v2.1/GPL v2,headers to Dual BSD/GPL
    On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 09:17 -0400, Pierre-Marc Fournier wrote:
    > Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > >
    > > But i also disagree with it on a technical level: code duplication is
    > > _bad_. Why does the code have to be duplicated in user-space like that?
    > > I'd like Linux tracing code to be in the kernel repo. Why isnt this done
    > > properly, as part of the kernel project - to make sure it all stays in
    > > sync?
    > >

    > If you mean that this code should solely be used inside the kernel, then
    > what you propose technically does not work. There is a very high cost to
    > accessing kernel code from userspace. This cost is simply unacceptable
    > for the kind of userspace tracing that is needed today.

    I think that Ingo is thinking that the tracing is for the kernel, and is
    asking why the duplication needs to be done for tools tracing the
    kernel.

    But what I think is trying to be done here is to use the same types of
    MACROS that we have in the kernel to do tracing in userspace. That a
    userspace program can add their own "TRACE_EVENT" and that the headers
    there will create a tracepoint for them the same way we currently do in
    the kernel.

    Am I correct in my analysis?

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2009-10-26 14:33    [W:0.028 / U:0.036 seconds]