SubjectRe: RFC: Updating the LKML bug reporting/updating framework
Date
Robert Bradbury wrote:
> Given the bugzilla database, is the LKML with its high volume and
> noise level (IMO), now largely obsolete [1]?

No, it's not. Many issues benefit from a mail-based discussion where many
people can follow the thread and jump in if something strikes them.
People subscribed to lkml will generally have their own methods of
filtering out mails/subjects/threads that interest them.

Some subsystems (like acpi) prefer to handle bugs using bugzilla; others
(netdev, ide) have dedicated mailing lists. All regressions are tracked in
bugzilla, even if many are initially reported on mailing lists.

lkml still has an important function for those who wish to keep a good
general overview of what's happening. There are a few people who keep an
active watch on lkml to spot bug reports and to ensure they are brought to
the attention of the right people.
You are not required to subscribe to lkml to report an issue on it: the
policy is to always reply-to-all.

If you prefer to use bugzilla, go ahead. Some subsystem maintainers will
then handle the bug in bugzilla; others may switch to email.

> (I think I a Google search may have led me in the direction that it was
> the place to report bugs).

It depends. It's the one place where you can always report an issue if you
don't know where else to report it. The best way to report issues is to do
so directly to relevant maintainers, but that requires some familiarity
with the source and the community.

Cheers,
FJP

  Last update: 2009-10-26 14:15    [W:0.079 / U:0.160 seconds]