SubjectRe: Kernel RCU: shrink the size of the struct rcu_head
* Paul E. McKenney (paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:53:15AM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > * Paul E. McKenney (paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com) wrote:

> > > But please note that this is on the "Possibly Dubious Changes" list. ;-)

> > > So the idea is to maintain a per-CPU queue of function pointers, but
> > > with the pointers on this queue encoded to save space, correct?
> >
> > Yes, exactly.
>
> OK, I will add something to this effect on my rcutodo page.
>
> > > If I
> > > understand correctly, the user-level rcu-defer implementation relies on
> > > the following:
> > >
> > > 1. It is illegal to call _rcu_defer_queue() within an RCU read-side
> > > critical section (due to the call to rcu_defer_barrier_thread()
> > > which in turn calls synchronize_rcu(). This is necessary to
> > > handle queue overflow. (Which appears to be why you introduce
> > > a new API, as it is legal to invoke call_rcu() from within an
> > > RCU read-side critical section.)
> >
> > When dealing with queue overflow, I figured we have 4 alternatives.
> > Either:
> >
> > 1, 2, 3) We proceed to execution of {the single, all, thread local}
> > callback(s) on the spot after a synchronize_rcu().
> >
> > 4) We expand the queue by allocating more memory.
> >
> > The idea of pointer encoding to save space could be used with any of 1,
> > 2, 3, or 4. As you say, call_rcu() requires (4), because it tolerates
> > being called from an rcu read-side C.S.. 1, 2, 3 are incompatible with
> > read-side C.S. context because they require to use synchronize_rcu()
> > within the C.S., which would deadlock on its calling context.
> >
> > Now, there is a rationale for the choice of (3) in my urcu-defer
> > implementation:
> >
> > * It's how I can deal with memory full (-ENOMEM) without letting the
> > system die with exit(). How does the kernel call_rcu() deal with this
> > currently ? BUG_ON, WARN_ON ?
>
> It doesn't have to do anything -- the caller of call_rcu() is responsible
> for allocating any required memory. So call_rcu() never allocates memory
> and thus never needs to worry about a memory-allocation failure.

I see. So it puts the burden of memory allocation onto the creation of
the original object we are dealing with. I understand why it's done like
that now: it does not add another memory allocation failure point.

> > * It acts as a rate limiter for urcu_defer_queue(). Basically, if a
> > thread starts enqueuing callbacks too fast, it will eventually fill its
> > queue and have to empty it itself. AFAIK, It's not possible to do that
> > if you allow call_rcu() to be called from read-side C.S..
>
> Yep! ;-)

From userland point of view, it would be good to provide an API that
allows rate-limiting, especially to deal with DoS types of attacks. I
I just renamed rcu_defer_queue() to defer_rcu() and removed the define
for call_rcu(), because this last mapping introduced an API with the
same name as the kernel API, but with different parameters.

So the idea is to have:

* defer_rcu(fct, p): fixed-sized queue rcu work deferral. Cannot be
called from rcu read-side C.S..
* defer_rcu_ratelimit(fct, p, rl): same as above, but with added rate
limiter callback.

and, eventually, to add back a standard call_rcu(), which can be called
from within RCU read-side C.S., but which provides no rate limiting
whatsoever.

> > I could even extend rcu_defer_queue() to take a second rate-limiter
> > callback, which would check if the thread went over some threshold and
> > give a more precise limit (e.g. amount of memory to be freed) on the
> > rate than the "4096 callbacks in flight max", which have been chosen by
> > benchmarks, but is a bit arbitrary in terms of overall callback effect.
> >
> > How important is it to permit enqueuing callbacks from within rcu
> > read-side C.S. in terms of real-life usage ? If it is really that
> > important to fill this use-case, then I could have a mode for call_rcu()
> > that expands the RCU callback queue upon overflow. But as I argue above,
> > I really prefer the control we have with a fixed-sized queue.
>
> There are occurrences of this in the Linux kernel. In theory, you could
> always hang onto the object until leaving the outermost RCU read-side
> critical section, but in practice this is not always consistent with
> good software-engineering practice.
>
> One use case is when you have an RCU-protected list, each element of
> which has an RCU-protected list hanging off it. In this case, you might
> scan the upper-level list under RCU protection, but during the scan you
> might need to remove elements from the lower-level list and pass them
> to call_rcu().
>
> So it really needs to be legal for call_rcu() to be invoked from within
> an RCU read-side critical section.

I agree that not being able to use call_rcu() from a read-side C.S.
could really be a problem here.

This is why I think aving two interfaces, one permitting calling
call_rcu() from within C.S., but requiring the added struct rcu_head,
and the other using per-thread queues with maximum size, rate limiting,
but which cannot be used in read-side C.S. seems like a good tradeoff.

> > > 2. It is OK to wait for a grace period when a thread calls
> > > rcu_defer_unregister_thread() while exiting. In the kernel,
> > > this is roughly equivalent to the CPU_DYING notifier, which
> > > cannot block, thus cannot wait for a grace period.
> > >
> > > I could imagine copying the per-CPU buffer somewhere, though
> > > my experience with the RCU/CPU-hotplug interface does not
> > > encourage me in this direction. ;-)
> >
> > As you say, we don't _have_ to empty the queue before putting a
> > thread/cpu offline. We could simply copy the unplugged cpu queue to an
> > orphan queue, as you currently do in your implementation. I agree that
> > it would be more suitable to the cpu hotplug CPU_DYING execution
> > context, due to its inherent trickiness.
>
> Especially if you want something like rcu_barrier() to continue working.
>
> Hmmm... Can user applications unload dynamically linked libraries? ;-)

Yes. With dlclose(). But I expect library developers to call
rcu_defer_barrier() in their destructor if they have queued any work.
(/me sneaks a README update in the git tree to that effect) ;)

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers

  Last update: 2009-10-23 14:33    [W:0.073 / U:1.224 seconds]