    SubjectRe: Fast LKM symbol resolution with SysV ELH hash table
    On 10/19/2009 09:02 AM, Carmelo Amoroso wrote:
    > 2009/10/19 Greg KH<>:
    >> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 01:45:20PM +0200, Carmelo Amoroso wrote:
    >>> Just a few other notes. The current implementation I did based on SysV
    >>> has a drawback that is not backward compatible, so you cannot use old
    >>> modules with a kernel with the option enabled due to changes on struct
    >>> kernel_symbol.
    >> Why would this be a problem? Whenever making a kernel config change,
    >> you should be able to rebuild everything, as lots of other configuration
    >> options are that way.
    > This is not always true... there could be cases in which you cannot
    > recompile old modules
    > (e.g vendors that provide non GPL modules)

    Even non-GPL modules can normally be rebuilt as far as the module format
    is concerned, there's usually an object file blob that gets compiled
    into a module on install or something, like the Nvidia graphics driver.
    If anyone's providing binary-only fully built modules (which would be
    inherently tied to one exact kernel version and one configuration) they
    really need to have their head examined..

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-10-21 07:47    [W:0.025 / U:87.500 seconds]