SubjectRe: [RFC] Union mounts/writable overlays design
On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 03:08:46PM -0500, kevin granade wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Jan Blunck <jblunck@suse.de> wrote:

> >> This could theoretically work, but the main problem is resolving
> >> differences between files (always the big problem in upgrade). ?Say
> >> you have /etc/passwd, you add a new user and write to it on the top
> >> layer, and then the next upgrade adds a new user to the read-only
> >> version. ?You're not going to see the new user.
> >>

> > No. Scripts that come with updated packages still need to run on the union.
> > Otherwise this is just asking for problems. Probably you could come up with
> > a clever merger if the update and the base image is still available.
> >

> Yes, that sort of thing is what I meant by "additional complexities in
> packaging", and I understand that they are in no way trivial, but I
> was mostly interested in whether that kind of behavior would be
> supported at the kernel level at all.

To a first approximation, if your question looks anything like:

"Can I do [...] packaging [...] with writable overlays?"

The answer is, no, you can't, and if you could, it wouldn't have the
results you expected.

Writable overlays are to packaging as file system snapshots were to
source control - check out all the old papers, people were always
saying, "And you can use it to make an easy diff of your changes to
your source code!" Now that we have decent source control, no one
would dream of versioning their source control with file system level
snapshots - what about commit grouping? What about commit messages?
What about annotation?

I think packaging is at the same level today. Seriously, go check out
Puppet before hacking around with writable overlays. It will probably
fix your problems and give you more features.

-VAL

  Last update: 2009-10-02 21:19    [W:0.059 / U:0.464 seconds]