    SubjectRe: [this_cpu_xx V4 00/20] Introduce per cpu atomic operations and avoid per cpu address arithmetic

    * Tejun Heo <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    > wrote:
    > > V3->V4:
    > > - Fix various macro definitions.
    > > - Provider experimental percpu based fastpath that does not disable
    > > interrupts for SLUB.
    > The series looks very good to me. [...]

    Seconded, very nice series!

    One final step/cleanup seems to be missing from it: it should replace
    current uses of percpu_op() [percpu_read(), etc.] in the x86 tree and
    elsewhere with the new this_cpu_*() primitives. this_cpu_*() is using
    per_cpu_from_op/per_cpu_to_op directly, we dont need those percpu_op()
    variants anymore.

    There should also be a kernel image size comparison done for that step,
    to make sure all the new primitives are optimized to the max on the
    instruction level.

    > [...] percpu#for-next now has ia64 bits included and the legacy
    > allocator is gone there so it can carry this series. Sans the last
    > one, they seem they can be stable and incremental from now on, right?
    > Shall I include this series into the percpu tree?

    I'd definitely recommend doing that - it should be tested early and wide
    for v2.6.33, and together with other percpu bits.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-10-02 11:59    [W:0.060 / U:6.480 seconds]