SubjectRe: [RFC Patch] use MTRR for write combining if PAT is not available
>>> Thomas Schlichter <thomas.schlichter@web.de> 17.10.09 21:48 >>>
>Patches 0001-0003 introduce functionality/changes to the MTRR and sysfs
>subsystems. Patch 0004 is the main patch which sets up the MTRR entries when
>pci memory regions are mmapped. The Patches 0005-0006 also change ioremap()
>and set_mempry_wc() to set up MTRR entries. These two are completely optional,
>especially and there is currently no way to automatically remove MTRR entries
>set up with them.
>
>What do you think about these patches?

Functionality-wise this looks fine to me; whether the core sysfs changes
are acceptable I can't judge, though.

However, I would recommend folding the last two arguments of
mtrr_add_unaligned(), i.e. use mtrr_usage != NULL as the increment
argument passed to mtrr_add().

And patches 5 and 6 would apparently not build right now, as they're
failing to pass the new 5th argument to mtrr_add_unaligned().

Also, why do you add x86-specific code to drivers/pci-sysfs.c when the
function called there (pci_mmap_page_range()) already is arch-specific?
Moving your addition there would also allow covering the related
(legacy?) procfs based functionality... pci_release() could also become
arch-specific, with a fall-back definition to NULL.

Additionally, I would suggest making those code portions depend on
CONFIG_X86_MTRR rather than CONFIG_X86, so that you don't
needlessly (try to) allocate the mtrr_usage vector.

Jan

  Last update: 2009-10-19 11:17    [W:2.160 / U:0.016 seconds]