SubjectRe: [Bug #14141] order 2 page allocation failures in iwlagn
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 03:01:52PM +0100, Mel Gorman wrote:

> > During the 2nd phase I see the first SKB allocation errors with a music
> > skip between reading commits 95.000 and 110.000.
> > About commit 115.000 there is a very long pause during which the counter
> > does not increase, music stops and the desktop freezes completely. The
> > first 30 seconds of that freeze there is only very low disk activity (which
> > seems strange);
>
> I'm just going to have to depend on Jens here. Jens, the congestion_wait() is
> on BLK_RW_ASYNC after the commit. Reclaim usually writes pages asynchronously
> but lumpy reclaim actually waits of pages to write out synchronously so
> it's not always async.

Waiting doesn't make it synchronous from the elevator point of view ;)
If you're using WB_SYNC_NONE, it's a async write. WB_SYNC_ALL makes it
a sync write. I only see WB_SYNC_NONE in vmscan.c, so we should be
using the async congestion wait. (the exception is xfs which always
does async writes).

But I'm honestly not 100% sure. Looking back through the emails, the
test case is doing IO on top of a whole lot of things on top of
dm-crypt? I just tried to figure out if dm-crypt is turning the async
IO into sync IOs, but didn't quite make sense of it.

Could you also please include which filesystems were being abused during
the test and how? Reading through the emails, I think you've got:

gitk being run 3 times on some FS (NFS?)
streaming reads on NFS
swap on dm-crypt

If other filesystems are being used, please correct me. Also please
include if they are on crypto or straight block device.

> Either way, reclaim is usually worried about writing pages but it would appear
> after this change that a lot of read activity can also stall a process in
> direct reclaim. What might be happening in Frans's particular case is that the
> tasklet that allocates high-order pages for the RX buffers is getting stalled
> by congestion caused by other processes doing reads from the filesystem.
> While it makes sense from a congestion point of view to halt the IO, the
> reclaim operations from direct reclaimers is getting delayed for long enough
> to cause problems for GFP_ATOMIC.

The congestion_wait code either waits for congestion to clear or for
a given timeout. The part that isn't clear is if before the patch
we waited a very short time (congestion cleared quickly) or a very long
time (we hit the timeout or congestion cleared slowly).

The easiest way to tell is to just replace the congestion_wait() calls
in direct reclaim with schedule_timeout_interruptible(10), test, then
schedule_timeout_interruptible(HZ/20), then test again.

> Does this sound plausible to you? If so, what's the best way of
> addressing this? Changing congestion_wait back to WRITE (assuming that
> works for Frans)? Changing it to SYNC (again, assuming it actually
> works) or a revert?

I don't think changing it to SYNC is a good plan unless we're actually
doing sync io. It would be better to just wait on one of the pages that
you've sent down (or its hashed waitqueue since the page can go away).

-chris

  Last update: 2009-10-19 18:33    [W:0.338 / U:0.372 seconds]