SubjectRe: Exposing device ids and driver names
Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> Please CC me on any responses as I'm not subscribed to lkml.
>
> I have the aim at creating two tools helpful to linux. The first tool
> is a driver regression test of sorts. I want to be able to create
> essentially a time line of hardware support as they appear in distros.
> The second tool, related to the first, is a program which runs on
> Windows and scans for a user's hardware and tells them which distro will
> best support their hardware. I already have a working prototype of
> these two tools. It currently uses the data exported by modinfo. This
> however does not provide transparency for drivers compiled into the kernel.

Hardware support also depends on userland: Udev rules, libraries,
application programs.

Even if you ignore that for now and only look at the kernel part of
hardware support: Beyond "doesn't have a matching driver" and "does
have", there is a large and impossible to track grey area of "has a
poorly working driver" and "has a perfectly working driver".
--
Stefan Richter

  Last update: 2009-10-01 19:51    [W:1.634 / U:0.024 seconds]