    SubjectRe: 2.6.29 -mm merge plans
    On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 03:19:15PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > (cc's added)
    >
    > On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 17:57:44 -0500
    > Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 12:43:00AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > >
    > > > linuxpps-core-support.patch
    > >
    > > looks generally good, but the comments should get a little loving.
    > > Please remove the stupid filenames that always get out of sync in
    > > the top of file comments, and make the documentation of exported
    > > symbols kernel-doc instead of it's weird own format.

    With "kernel-doc" do you mean what explained into
    Documentation/kernel-doc-nano-HOWTO.txt file?

    > > Does checkpatch.pl still not catch these things?

    No... checkpatch.pl reports everything OK.

    > > Also the ioctl certainly should be an unlocked_ioctl and not the
    > > old BKL-locked variant. The !uarg checks in the ioctls can go,
    > > copy_to/from_users does this automatically.
    > >
    > > pps.h shoulkd be split into one header only defining the
    > > kernel<->userspace ABI, and a kernel-internal one. That way
    > > also the conditional includes can go away.

    I don't understand well what I should do here... I supposed __KERNEL__
    define was defined to allow mixing kernel and userland code.

    > > > pps-documentation-programs-and-examples.patch
    > >
    > > Once again this stuff is in and utterly wrong place where it can't
    > > easily be package for distros. ppsfind belongs into util-linux and
    > > needs a proper mangage, ppsldisc is not nessecary but ldattach in
    > > util-linux needs to grow support for N_PPS instead, and ppstest
    > > should probably go into util-linux in a more polished version, too.

    Regarding ldisc support we should ask to Alan which solution he
    preferes: ldisc & N_PPS or setserial & HARDPPS.

    However I suppose is better having the LinuxPPS's core inclusion and
    then solve the serial support issue.

    > > > pps-userland-header-file-for-pps-api.patch
    > >
    > > This one is utterly wrong. It provides what should be a userspace
    > > library as inlines in a kernel header.
    > >
    > > Please do a proper libpps library package.
    >
    > Well that's a drop-it-all-and-start again scale of thing.

    I think so... :'(

    > Rodolfo, do you have sufficient information here?

    I'll start changing the code ASAP and I'll ask to you if something
    will be still obscure to me. :)

    Thanks for your help and time,

    Rodolfo

    --

    GNU/Linux Solutions e-mail: giometti@enneenne.com
    Linux Device Driver giometti@linux.it

      Last update: 2009-01-08 20:17    [W:0.043 / U:62.304 seconds]