    SubjectRe: [ntpwg] Bug: Status/Summary of slashdot leap-second crash on new years 2008-2009
    In message: <>
    Alan Cox <> writes:
    : > On FreeBSD, Solaris and Digital Unix, I'll point out, that jumping
    : > backwards is used, and has been used since at least 1994. So saying
    : > it isn't used in the world today is flat out wrong.
    : I stand by my comment - when was the last time the IERS used a leap
    : second removal ? The code may exist but it doesn't happen.

    Jumping backwards is used for every leap second that IERS has ever
    done, which was your original comment. There's has never been a case
    where there was a leap second for jump forward though. The proper
    technical term here is 'negative leap second'. All leap seconds up
    until now have been positive leap seconds, and it is unlikely there
    ever will be a negative one.

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-01-08 16:09    [W:0.020 / U:9.224 seconds]