    SubjectRFC: Network privilege separation.
    Date
    Dear lkml and netdev,

    I'm trying to implement a kernel facility for unprivileged processes to
    irrevocably discard their and their future children's ability to perform
    unrestricted network I/O. (Restricted network I/O, e.g. on sockets which were
    connected before the privilege-reduction or on filesystem-based sockets is
    okay.)

    I want the kernel to provide a facility like this one because such a facility
    will make it much easier for users, authors, and distributors of userland
    software to protect themselves and one another from a broad class of malicious
    software.

    For the sake of discussion, I have written up and documented one possible
    implementation of this concept based on the idea of a new rlimit named
    RLIMIT_NETWORK in the following patch series.

    I eagerly await your questions, comments, suggestions, and improvements.

    Thanks very much,

    Michael

    P.S. - I'm not subscribed to either lkml or netdev, so please CC me on

      Last update: 2009-01-07 07:01    [W:0.021 / U:29.504 seconds]