SubjectRe: Bug: Status/Summary of slashdot leap-second crash on new years 2008-2009
Once upon a time, john stultz-lkml <johnstul.lkml@gmail.com> said:
> Grrrr. This has bit us a few times since the "no printk while holding
> the xtime lock" restriction was added.

I didn't see that documented anywhere, so my patch adds a comment to
that effect.

> Thomas: Do you think this warrents adding a check to the printk path
> to make sure the xtime lock isn't held? This way we can at least get a
> warning when someone accidentally adds a printk or calls a function
> that does while holding the xtime_lock.

I'm no kernel locking or scheduling (or anything else) expert, but if
printk can check to see if xtime_lock is held, can it skip trying to
wake klogd (so messages still get logged, just maybe not quite as fast)?
Is there anything else that will wake klogd later?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>