SubjectRe: Bug: Status/Summary of slashdot leap-second crash on new years 2008-2009
Once upon a time, john stultz-lkml <> said:
> Grrrr. This has bit us a few times since the "no printk while holding
> the xtime lock" restriction was added.

I didn't see that documented anywhere, so my patch adds a comment to
that effect.

> Thomas: Do you think this warrents adding a check to the printk path
> to make sure the xtime lock isn't held? This way we can at least get a
> warning when someone accidentally adds a printk or calls a function
> that does while holding the xtime_lock.

I'm no kernel locking or scheduling (or anything else) expert, but if
printk can check to see if xtime_lock is held, can it skip trying to
wake klogd (so messages still get logged, just maybe not quite as fast)?
Is there anything else that will wake klogd later?

Chris Adams <>