    SubjectRe: Bug: Status/Summary of slashdot leap-second crash on new years 2008-2009
    Once upon a time, john stultz-lkml <johnstul.lkml@gmail.com> said:
    > Grrrr. This has bit us a few times since the "no printk while holding
    > the xtime lock" restriction was added.

    I didn't see that documented anywhere, so my patch adds a comment to
    that effect.

    > Thomas: Do you think this warrents adding a check to the printk path
    > to make sure the xtime lock isn't held? This way we can at least get a
    > warning when someone accidentally adds a printk or calls a function
    > that does while holding the xtime_lock.

    I'm no kernel locking or scheduling (or anything else) expert, but if
    printk can check to see if xtime_lock is held, can it skip trying to
    wake klogd (so messages still get logged, just maybe not quite as fast)?
    Is there anything else that will wake klogd later?

    --
    Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

      Last update: 2009-01-06 03:29    [W:0.029 / U:5.604 seconds]