SubjectRe: tip: bzip2/lzma now in tip:x86/setup-lzma
Alain Knaff wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> Well, I think the right thing to do at this stage is to simply compress
>> the initramfs with the preferred compression method (and if no
>> compression method is provided, with none.) This can be relatively
>> simply done with a script, I think.
>
> Well, the problem is there is really no "preferred" method for the
> ramdisk or initramfs. And picking the one from the kernel might not
> work, because the user might have chosen to compress the kernel via
> bzip2, but only allowed lzma and gzip for the ramdisk.

I'm thinking that with "preferred" we might just use the first one in
the priority list "lzma, bzip2, gzip, uncompressed" depending on what is
installed in the kernel.

Using the kernel method may definitely not work, especially on
architectures which don't do this style of kernel compression.

-hpa

  Last update: 2009-01-05 23:13    [W:0.352 / U:0.216 seconds]