SubjectRe: Bug: Status/Summary of slashdot leap-second crash on new years 2008-2009
david@lang.hm wrote:
> so are you saying that other 'correct' OS's have patches issued every
> time a leap second is declared so that they have an in-kernel table of
> them to use to calculate the correct time?

I think the number of other "correct" OSes that actually step the time
on leap seconds is not that large (at least doing the announcement via
NTP). According to http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-algo-real.htm#AEN2499
leap seconds are only changed via stepping if you have the right kernel
discipline (notes on how to check whether a given OS has the kernel
kernel discipline are mentioned on
http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-algo-kernel.htm#AEN2220 ).

I have a feeling that OSX doesn't do it (there's a mailing list post
from 2005 where someone was trying to add FreeBSD's ntp_adjtime to
Darwin
http://lists.apple.com/archives/Darwin-kernel/2005/Jan/msg00004.html ).
Additionally folks I know using ntpd synchronized OSX machines said
their machines were off by one second right after the new year.

Windows is also known not to do it without slewing:
http://www.meinberg.de/english/info/leap-second.htm#os .

  Last update: 2009-01-04 17:19    [W:0.041 / U:0.524 seconds]