SubjectRe: libata - anomaly performance with NCQ
Bartosz SKOWRON wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Robert Hancock <hancockr@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>>> 1) cause the title contains "with hdparm"...does it mean that
>>> physically the performance is OK and only hdparm shows something
>>> wrong?
>> Well, hdparm is a fairly crude benchmark but there's likely at least some
>> impact in other usage.
>
> It's not an answer for my question. So, should I check with other
> benchmarks? I thought that this's issue is investigated and the answer
> is common. Do you recommend any "not crude" benchmarks? :)

bonnie++ is one I've used, I'm sure there are others.. Of course, what
do you compare the results to..

>>> 2) there is an information about upgrading firmware. as far as i know
>>> Seagate doesn't publish firmwares. So the only way is to contact
>>> seagate support, send the hdd and wait for the new one?
>> I think Seagate can provide firmware updaters for the user to use, but
>> normally only if you contact support I think.
>
> I will send the email cause there is no phone line for my country.
> BTW. upgrade firmware == damage data?

It shouldn't, but some people with the recent 7200.11 drives that did
firmware upgrades reported it bricked the drive, so backing up the data
first would definitely be a good idea..