SubjectRe: Switching from (deprecated) IDE driver -> SATA (PATA support)
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009, Justin Piszcz wrote:

>>> Hmmm? That's news to me and I wonder where did you hear that?
>>>
>>> The only driver that got removed recently was HPT34X (for very, very
>>> old HPT controllers) which was broken for ages. In reality we are
>>> adding new IDE host drivers and not removing them.
>>>
>>> In 2.6.28 we got support for TX4938 and TX4939 chipsets. 2.6.29-rc1
>>> contains a new driver for IT8172 and 2.6.29-final will hopefully have
>>> drivers for AT91 and CS5536 chipsets. Moreover except CS5536 all of
>>> above chipsets are not support in other ways under Linux...
>>>
>>> While we are at it 2.6.29 also got a whole bunch of updates to the core
>>> IDE code -- this includes complete rewrite of locking scheme (which
>>> is now superior to some other solutions), latency improvements for IRQ
>>> handling and port of ide-cd over generic ATAPI support (not to mention
>>> whole stack of bugfixes and cleanups).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bart
>>>
>>> PS as usual I encourage people to try different solutions and choose
>>> whatever works best for them (please also remember that giving feedback
>>> is very important if you want to see some things improved).
>>>
>> Correction, it was the HPT controller as you noted, broken? Was working
>> for me in 2.6.26.3 :)
>>
>> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT34X=y
>> # CONFIG_HPT34X_AUTODMA is not set
>> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366=y
>
> HPT34X driver got removed not HPT366.
>
> However if you need we can bring support for HPT34x hardware back. :)

I don't think "bring it back" is enough, it had some major issues as I recall. I
actually have a pile of these, but not running any recent kernel.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

  Last update: 2009-01-30 00:53    [W:0.777 / U:0.440 seconds]