SubjectRe: x86: unify genapic code, unify subarchitectures, remove old subarchitecture code

* Tim Pepper <lnxninja@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

> > At this point there's no technical need to kill it - it's a
> > zero-overhead thing tucked away into a single .c module in
> > arch/x86/kernel/numaq_32.c. I even consolidated most of its headers in
> > that file, to reduce its cross section.
>
> Wish we'd have piped up earlier to save you a bit of work.

Well bigsmp wasnt going to go away anytime soon so the de-subarching and
unification work had to be done anyway. NUMAQ came along for the ride ;-)
I've got some more restructuring plans in this area so the time was well
spent in any case.

> We can make the NUMAQ's beep still, if not boot. :)
>
> Reality is they're just not worth the effort any more and there's no
> sign of anybody else having them. Assuming your code goes in for 2.6.30
> it'll be easy to drop NUMAQ support. Even if there's not much downside
> there's also not much reason to leave it in but marked
> deprecated/broken.

Yes, unless there's major stability problems with the x86/apic branch
we'll merge it into v2.6.30. NUMAQ is a single .c module now
(default-disabled) so not much of a concern.

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-01-30 00:29    [W:2.147 / U:0.628 seconds]