SubjectRe: [bug] CONFIG_I2C_VIAPRO=y breaks skge
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:49:16 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:
> > Well my guess is that you have included an I2C chip driver with a weak
> > detection routine. More likely this is a typical case of "if it hurts,
> > don't do it". But maybe we can improve the help text or default, or even
> > disable probing for these devices.
> >
> > At this point I am reasonably certain that the i2c-viapro driver is
> > innocent.
>
> i've excluded the VIAPRO driver on that box (and only the VIAPRO driver -
> i.e. all those other I2C drivers still run frequently) - and the problem
> has not reoccured in about ~1000 bootups.
>
> Combined with the fact that this box has a VIA chipset, does that not
> implicate the viapro driver, at least to a certain degree?

This VIA chipset is the bridge over which the bugs run. Blaming on it
for the problem you've hit would be similar to blaming the USB host
controller driver for a bug that is in the USB keyboard or mouse driver.

The "other I2C drivers" don't run frequently at all now that you've
disabled i2c-viapro. Without an I2C bus to probe on the machine, these
drivers don't do anything.

So, again, if you are still willing to help me solve the problem,
please boot the bad kernel and run:

$ ls -l /sys/bus/i2c/devices/*/driver

Then we'll know which drivers attached to I2C devices on your SMBus.
Figuring out which one shouldn't have will likely be straightforward.

Thanks,
--
Jean Delvare

  Last update: 2009-01-29 15:19    [W:0.070 / U:0.540 seconds]