SubjectRe: [bug] CONFIG_I2C_VIAPRO=y breaks skge

* Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> > > What I2C chip drivers did you include in your kernel? Presumably
> > > this is a random config, so I can imagine that there is a chip on
> > > the SMBus to which an I2C chip driver would have bound and that is
> > > causing the problem, rather than i2c-viapro itself.
> >
> > Correct, i found it via random config testing. x86 defconfig + VIAPRO
> > enabled boots fine so it indeed could be interaction between i2c
> > drivers.
>
> Is there anything like a x86 defconfig? I didn't know. [...]

Yes. Type "make defconfig" in the kernel source top directory, on an x86
box.

> > Anyway, this bug is not a big deal - i can work it around locally by
> > excluding VIAPRO on that box. If you'd like to figure out why this
> > happens that would be preferred of course, and i can send any debug
> > info you need.
>
> Well my guess is that you have included an I2C chip driver with a weak
> detection routine. More likely this is a typical case of "if it hurts,
> don't do it". But maybe we can improve the help text or default, or even
> disable probing for these devices.
>
> At this point I am reasonably certain that the i2c-viapro driver is
> innocent.

i've excluded the VIAPRO driver on that box (and only the VIAPRO driver -
i.e. all those other I2C drivers still run frequently) - and the problem
has not reoccured in about ~1000 bootups.

Combined with the fact that this box has a VIA chipset, does that not
implicate the viapro driver, at least to a certain degree?

Ingo

  Last update: 2009-01-29 14:51    [W:0.071 / U:0.120 seconds]