    SubjectRe: document ext3 requirements
    Alan Cox <> writes:

    > > That would be true if the disk hardware wasn't doing a gazillion retries to
    > > read a bad sector internally (taking 5 seconds to come back and report
    > > failure), and then the darn scsi layer added another gazillion retries on top
    > > of that, and the two multiply together to make it so slow that that when you
    > > leave the thing copying the disk overnight it's STILL not done 24 hours later.
    > > Going in and cherry picking individual files looks kind of appealing in that
    > > situation.
    > You could of course just learn to use the functions the kernel provides.
    > If you want to recover disk blocks without retrying you can do that via
    > SG_IO. If you want to adjust the timeout and retry levels you can do that
    > too via sysfs.

    Sure but maybe the default values might be altered. I think the current
    tradeoff has set the cursor way too far for retries.

    I remember seeing I/O error on CDs resulting in zillions of retries on
    errors on USB discs resulting in resetting the USB port again & again
    for hours... (CD case is years ago, but I usually see the USB layer
    trying reseting for quite a long time at least once per month)

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-01-27 14:25    [W:0.022 / U:2.960 seconds]