    SubjectRe: hdb: status error: error=0x40 <3>{ UncorrectableError }
    From
    > From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <bzolnier@gmail.com>
    >
    > On Sunday 25 January 2009, Jaswinder Singh Rajput wrote:

    >> > He noted that he tried another drive, so unless he has a pile of bad drives
    >> > it's probably something else. Being "hdb" may indicate that it's connected
    >> > to the same controller as "hda" and might not be jumpered for slave. Or it
    >> > might be a bad cable, a controller which doesn't like two drives, a dubious
    >> > power connector, etc. Or if he doesn't have an hda, perhaps the kernel
    >> > doesn't like a secondary drive without a primary.
    >> >
    >> > Being hdb instead of sdb with a new kernel indicates he is using a config
    >> > which may get a lot less testing these days, perhaps?
    >> >
    >> > In any case, I doubt he had two bad drives, so something else is more
    >> > likely.
    >> >

    >> But earlier both was working fine on some another machines.
    >
    > Did you try them before on this machine?

    Yes.

    Story is like this:

    I was using Fedora 8 on my machine with one hard disk, So I was
    planning to add another OS 'Rock Cluster 5.1', so I added another
    working drive as primary slave and start loading Rock cluster 5.1
    during installation machine reboots so when I log on to Fedora 8
    machine I get uncorrectable error, I thought may be somehow this drive
    is broken so I connected another drive as primary slave and I also
    verified that it is mounting on Fedora 8 and also showing correct
    data.

    So I again started Rock Cluster frontend installation , I did manual
    partition on hdb and during format it shows me unrecoverable error. So
    when I started Fedora 8 it also show uncorrectable error on another
    drive also.

    So I am still trying what goes wrong.

    > Another machine may mean another controller and entirely different
    > IDE host driver.
    >
    > Your bugreport is too sparse in information to say more
    > (please at least post IDE related kernel config part).

    I am attaching dmesg because from /var/log/messages because dmesg is
    clipping data and also attaching config file.

    Thanks,

    --
    JSR
    [unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream][unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream]

      Last update: 2009-01-26 06:33    [W:0.041 / U:1.452 seconds]